Monday, March 16, 2009

Bukit Bintang at it's Best

Sunday night, after a day of relaxation and just chill time, little one (Pascaul), needed to hang out with me again so his momma could get some much needed rest. This time it was the "Project Binky", she had not really wanted to use one, but noticed he was just hanging out at the boob. So he and I hung out, he had "binks", I had water and watched a little TV while A.L.B.B slept fitfully on the couch next to us. We hung out till midnight when I returned him to the milk bank (ha ha) and went to bed inspired by Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations": Malaysia Special.



Today's mission (and mission everyday till Friday) eat something, somewhere that I just could never, would never if I was home!
My dear friend's housekeeper "Lonnie" walked in, and I was given the "go have fun, get outta here" thumbs up...and it was ON!


I first went to the locals version of Sears, I guess, it was an indoor four level department store of sorts. I picked up beautiful pashminas (100% Cashmere), Indian tops (Kurta's I love), and a few other odds and ends. As I was walking out I ran into snack stop numero uno. Por que the sudden usar of Spanish? Cause I found the far distant Eastern cousin to the "Agua de...(Insert a fruit)" I ordered up a cup of the lime...it was perfect. Not too sweet and the perfect tanginess that one expects with a good glass of limeade. In the sweltering humidity it was GREAT, but now I did need a little sweet to go with it.





Situated right next to my lovely juice stand was a cart (it had parked wheels) where the vendor was frying up hot and fresh pineapple slices and my FAVE bananas. The breading is very similar to tempura, but better almost a bit like cake doughnut batter. I remembered these from summers in Indonesia and my grandmother's cook "Takeerah" making these by the dozen. I reigned myself in and only bought 3, he gave me 4...I will be back tomorrow.





While walking home I took in a few sights, busy streets, random lush mini jungles within this congested and loud concrete jungle.



Then I smelled it, a scent I had long ago put behind me during a summer in Jakarta, the putrid smell of Durian fruit. I took a pic and kept it moving, it tastes amazing, if you can get past the smell of rotting flesh....ugh, dry heave.




I was less than 4 blocks from the house (and final destination) and wanted my Bourdain inspired meal. The hood is called Bukit Bintang, the city is full of them, no different than New York's boroughs.




Fortunately there is a
pasar malam (a Malay term for 'night market'), and I know THIS is where I will find my supper.



I settle on a Chinese / Malay fusion street restaurant (It's very difficult to find true Malay food, I have a "date" with Lonnie after she gets off work this week to experiance some). This spot obviously caters to both the local and the tourist, the menu is in color and the dishes numbered. The items are in Malay & English- though some items, even in English are a complete guessing game. I was going to be bold, brave and order some things that I know I might never have the opportunity to try again!




Balitong (Trumpet Snails) cooked in an spicy tamarind type sauce, you suck out the insides, but not all of it! I learned the hard way some of it your supposed to spit...get your head outta the gutter...(I know my people) I got a plate with just shy of 60 and managed 20 before I had to move on.
(Sorry the pic is so bad, it was really hard to focus. They look like little twisted trumpets!)




I had to have some greens, it's a must if it's on the menu- they tasted like a combo of spinach, various sea greens and dandelions. The red chili paste was HOT like FIRE and I loved it, the only down side was they were cooked with meat. Not just any ole meat, well actually, yeah any ole meat. I could only think of three words: Canned Cat Food, but then again it's been years since I've eaten meat. It could have just been brine beef of some sort.



Stingray, yup I said STINGRAY!!! Wrapped in a banana leaf and then grilled in a cumin, turmeric, and tamarind concoction. It was buttery soft, the bones were odd and familiar at the same time. The hint of lime reminded me of baja Mexico, but the very distinctive sauce was all the way Eastern. It's fatty parts were divine, like the fatty part of good fried chicken. Soo glad I tried it, a simple ball of white Jasmine rice to offset everything






A cool glass of fresh Lychee juice/water.

This meal was for everyone of my foodie friends back home, this was for my inner "Globe Trekker", "Andrew Zimmerman" and of course Mister Bourdain. Most importantly it was for me, so that one day when my locs are long and grey, my children are grown and maybe I'm propped up on a porch somewhere (the Dominican hopefully) I can remember my trip to Malaysia with a sly cougar grin.......

1 comment:

  1. You go girl...on your way to "earning" that cougar grin...;)

    Beach Momma

    ReplyDelete