Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Confinement & Colds


Let me first start by saying that this trip is business, I knew it before I came. I am hoping at some point to mix some pleasure with it.

In Malaysia, and most parts of the world outside of the US, women are confined to bed/home for 30 days after their birth. This is to ensure a strong bond between mother and baby, establish nursing, and it's a time for the mother to heal "her lovely lady lumps". Traditionally her mother, mother in law, sister's, sister in law's (if any) and girlfriends descend and make amazing foods, clean house, tend to the older children.

This is also recognized as the "Dutch Midwifery Model of Care", where the midwife sees you almost daily and not only does the standard medical checks but also feeds and takes care of the family. (The government pays for everything to ensure happy midwives & families)

For the past couple of days I've been cooking up lasagna, stir fry, taking the kiddos to play and straightening up here and there. (There is a fabulous housekeeper, "Lonnie" who is helping TONS). Today we woke to A.L.B.B. and his little buddy Miles both have colds, and it's butt ugly outside. My friend is resting and grappling with the healing up portion of childbirth, which has meant staying in bed 90% of the time. Nursing, eating, sleeping, crying, nuzzling her new little one (A pic is coming, I promise) and chatting me up and managing her 3 year old, all from bed. It's the boring part of postpartum if you aren't experiencing the traditional family induced confinement.

I did take the boys out to run around and play on the complexes jungle gym/trampoline while the parents rested with the little one. We stopped back by that AMAZING produce truck and picked up some more of that mystical non-fibrous ginger.

On a high note, I experienced Dragon Fruit- it has pointy scales on the outside and a firm texture inside similar to kiwi (lots of little black seeds), and a honeydew melon. The flavor is kinda bland, not really sweet and doesn't taste like much of anything. It does however stain everything it comes in contact with.

Only six more days before I will head out on an adventure with A.L.B.B, hopefully a K.H. and a beach.....

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the updates...keep um coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it still a great way to conduct "business"??

    Glad Mum chose this way instead of the western "race-to-hospital-then-24hr-drop-kick-out-of-the-hospital" I'm always amazed that the process was fine the way it was,then the medical community "fixed it" [not taking anything away from NICU!] and we find it's come back, full circle. Think maybe that's where some of the family bonding went?

    Glad everyone is resting. Mince some of the ginger (with a little fresh garlic) in some veggie soup/stew for the boys and they will be the little men they were in no time! Make sure you have some too...;)

    XOXO ur Beach Momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man how I wish I live in Dutch land during my last birth...there is nothing like the feeling of being able to nuzzle the baby, breastfeeding, smells, and love without worrying about doing this and that in less than 2days. I vow today that I will enjoy the "Dutch Midwifery Model of Care" for my next little one with you by my side i hope :)

    ReplyDelete